Tuesday, April 03, 2007

The Hot Club

Beau was lamenting no ink. I said, "You haven't been bad lately." He replied, "Oh yes I have. Still."

The HC has a new bartender named Brownwyn. I introduced myself. Amanda warned her to watch what she said around me because I write the Hot Club section in Sportzine.

So when Amanda read that Erica is #1 MILF, she suggested that she would like to be considered worthy too. Amanda no doubt would get some votes from the Regulars.

"To each his reach", said Beau. "Or her reach", I added.

The Hot Club was graced by the presence of Eduoard. When I asked him if he knew Bags, Eduoard said of course he knew him and that he was one of the old timers going back to when the HC had only the front bars. Bags was at the HC back then too and noted, "Me and my liver are getting an award this year."

Bags thought Eduoard dipped his head. "No, just the moustache", said Eduoard.

Beau observed, "You learn more and more about less and less until you know everything there is to know of nothing."

Hooks asked "Who would go out with someone who has crème brulee for lunch?" Wise replied, "You would."

A woman bumped into one of the regulars. "A penalty?" I asked. "Boarding? Checking?" Foot Joy noted, "She's a hairdresser, so it's clipping." "Two minutes in the box", I replied.

Contraire called me over. He said that 5 Angels had a question for me. When I got there, 5 Angels did not have a question. Of course. This is Contraire. So I asked Contraire about it and he said, "Excuse me, I'm looking at Mullens." "Mullens?" I inquired. "No, melons", Contraire said.

Dan the Man, Jokin' Joe and I were talking about edgy movies and scenes. Joe asked me about 8 MM. I agreed that was one. Then I mentioned American X History to him. He hadn't seen it. Joe cited Deliverance. I concurred. Burt Reynolds' best role except for Boogie Nights. William H. Macy was in Boogie Nights too. And Fargo. I told Joe that Macy creeps out Victoria. Hey, readers. Any suggestions about edgy movies or scenes?

MOVIE REVIEW - EASY RIDERS, RAGING BULLS (2003)

This is a BBC documentary by Kenneth Bowser about movie making in the late '60's and '70's. It's based on Premiere magazine writer Peter Biskind's book. If you like the movies, you'll want to check out this almost 2-hour film. The movie's subtitle is How the Sex-Drugs-and Rock N Roll Generation Saved Hollywood. It chronicles the rise of young artists and directors who created the New Hollywood. Directors like Robert Altman, Peter Bogdanovich, Francis Ford Coppola, Dennis Hopper, Martin Scorsese, Paul Schrader, Sam Peckinpah, George Lucas and Steven Spielberg.

In the mid '60's TV was more popular than movies until these new auteurs took over. Many of them worked for the King of B Movie's, Roger Corman, who didn't pay them much but gave the new young talent film and opportunity.

Peter Bogdanovich worked 2nd camera on The Wild Angels and rewrote 80% of the script (according to him). Francis Ford Coppola was assistant director on The Young Racers. Scorsese directed Boxcar Bertha for Corman.

The documentary is fair but refreshingly frank on the reasons for the rise and fall of some of these auteurs. Dennis Hopper, high off the success of Easy Rider, went to Peru to make The Last Movie. Hopper wouldn't let anyone else edit the movie. As Hopper admits on camera, he had final cut and he cut his throat.

Peter Bogdonavich might have had a hit with Targets, a movie about a sniper killing people at random but Bobby Kennedy was assassinated just before the movie's release. Bogdanovich's wife Polly Platt, his production designer on The Last Picture Show, picked Cybill Shepherd from a magazine cover for the lead role and then watched as her husband fell for Shepherd.

Kris Kristofferson describes outlaw director Sam Peckinpah as being like "a dog that you loved but always doing something to embarrass you." Of Peckinpah's demise, he quotes William Blake: "The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom." Kristofferson then adds, "It also leads to the grave."

And this for all those Red Sox fans, who like me thought Jimy Williams was a good manager and got a bad deal in Boston: Warren Beatty has a scene from McCabe and Mrs. Miller, in which he says, "If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass so much."

Thanks to Chuck D who lent me this Net Flix movie. It was a reel find.

MOVIE REVIEW - CHILDREN OF MEN (2006)

First off I have to tell you that this movie was a major disappointment to me. To quote singer Peggy Lee "Is that all there is?"

Director Alfonso Cuarón's 1 hour and 50 minute sci-fi film never gets off the ground. It's London in 2027 and women can't become pregnant any more. Until one does. The rest of the movie is about that one woman and her child.

The movie is bolstered by Julianne Moore and Michael Caine, but they aren't enough to make me recommend this movie. Clive Owen stars and does well. Chiwetel Ehefur (Luke), who was the killer in Serenity, does a nice job too but it isn't enough. You have been warned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home