Tuesday, August 30, 2005

The Hot Club

THE HOT CLUB

Mr. D. said that Waterfire really originated in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. Their river was on fire. The water fires on the Cuyahoga! Must have inspired Barnaby Evans.

Louisiana Steve was getting a lot of calls from relatives in his home state. We're glad for him and others that New Orleans was spared the brunt of Hurricane Katrina.

That reminded me of my first trip to New Orleans for the Pats-Bears '86 Super Bowl. Findo and I took a red eye (6 am) into New Orleans and landed in a monsoon. We had to drive to our hotel in Baton Rouge, return for a rally and then head back to sleep. The road crosses Lake Ponchartrain and is straight as an arrow. On the last trip, I thought we'd die that night as I kept dozing. I finally pulled over and walked around a bit. Unforgettable.

Mr. Contraire spotted me and asked, "Where's your propaganda? Where's it been?" I told him that there was no Sportzine while I was in Maine. He said, "It's underground."

There were renovations at the Hot Club while I was away. There is a door now in the corner wall where Mr. D. and I usually reside. And the area heading out to the small far deck has been opened up by taking out the inside doors and creating a golden arch. Gone is the sign on the doorway to the deck revered by the regulars - The Office.

We were talking about fried foods and I remembered Satchel Paige saying to avoid fried foods because they 'roil the stomach'. FootJoy and I recalled Satchel pitching for the KC Athletics (FJ thinks 1965) against the Red Sox. Satchel pitched one inning and shut down the Sox except for Carl Yaz who got a hit. Satchel had to be at least in his fifties.

Erin returned to the Hot Club - as a redhead.

Someone was clearing away the empty beer bottles. I called them 'dead soldiers', an old
military term not used much any more.

Contraire changed the Hot Club TV from the Red Sox game to the Yankees-Indians tilt. When caught, Contraire said, "That's the Cleveland game." Someone asked why Contraire switched the game. I replied, "That's why he's Contraire."

Windex returned - with a cleaner.

We were talking about what happens to people who become celebrities and find everyone in their face. Buff Steve said, "How do I get that to happen?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home