Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Hot Club

THE HOT CLUB

WHERE HEARTS ARE ON FIRE

BUT IT’S NEVER TOO HOT

FOR THE DEVIL MAY CARE

575 South Water Street

Providence, RI


THE HOT CLUB

Friday was beautiful and there was a full house at the Hot Club. The parking lot was so packed that there wasn’t even space for Eben Bates to pull in.



Now that the booths are back and the basketball machine gone, I was thanking Eben for the return to normalcy. Eben said that the basketball machine will be back though since it generated some decent coinage.



A Happy Birthday goes out to Patti Quimby, one of the Hot Club’s all-time great Grande Dames. We understand Patti will be celebrating soon in Italy.



Overheard at the Hot Club: A person remarked that someone ‘breaks his wallet’. But we won’t say if it’s him or her.



Is it me or are there new stickers on the WC doors, identifying each. Probably a good idea since newcomers have always seemed unsure which is which.



Jack of Fire asked me how old I was and then introduced me to a guy named Henry. I told him my age. Hank then asked what nationality I was. When I said Irish, Hanky Panky said, “You should have been dead 10 years ago.”



Amy Winehouse’s Rehab was playing: They say I’ve gotta go to Rehab and I say No, No, No. Jokin’ Joe said “Rehab is for quitters.”



Russ, the HC’s returned doorman, was at the Hot Club on Sunday. Why? To wish his wife Renee, who tends bar at the HC, a Happy Mother’s Day.



The Wise Man asked me who was the first baseball player to use the capped bat. Not a straight bat but a mushroom cap at the end. Wise said it was Babe Ruth. Jack of Fire asked what team Ruth was with. Wise knew it was when Babe was with the Yankees.



Karen, Broc’s significant other, was thrilled about being in the Zine’s Hot Club section. Karen went over and hugged Contraire and told him that she was in Sportzine. Contraire said: “That’s old news.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home