Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Hot Club

THE HOT CLUB

WHERE HEARTS ARE ON FIRE
BUT IT’S NEVER TOO HOT

FOR THE DEVIL MAY CARE

575 South Water Street

Providence, RI













THE HOT CLUB I saw the Jack of Fire and asked him if he had gotten last week’s Sportzine because he was in it, but I missed giving it to him. Jack responded, “Oh yeah, I signed a bunch of ’em.” “Where’s the Sportzine now?” I asked him. Jack said, “It’s in my parrot’s cage.”

Rich ‘The Carney Barker’ was wearing an original HCYC (Hot Club Yacht Club) T-shirt. On the back of the tee was a flame coming out of a heart with a club in the middle. Heart Club. Hot Club. I had never seen it before and I was amused at how much it corresponded to the Hot Club ad that my daughter Cara and I created.

And yes, the Carney Barker says that Art was a distant relative. Like a second uncle.

The Wiz ordered a vanilla Porter. ORric wanted ‘a penis supporter or tulips on my organ’.

Contraire, speaking of Sportzine, told me “I have no lies for your paper.” Then he asked if I was the editor. I said “Yeah, I’m the editor, and the writer and the printer.” Contraire responded: “You’re the editor, the writer and the liar.”



The Wise Man said that Toronto’s Jose Bautista is known as ‘Joey Bats’.



We were having a brief discussion of ‘Psychotronic movies’, the term coined by Michael Weldon (2 excellent books listing many great examples). The group included Broc, Amanda, and High Wire Bill. Broc had seen Cowboys and Aliens which he liked. I mentioned Machete which Amanda liked. I saw Devil which I gave a 7 out of 10. I said that some psychotronic movies, like Ed D. Wood’s Plan 9 from Outer Space, are so bad that they’re good. So you get something out of it.



Contraire heard me talking about ‘psychotronic’movies. He called them ‘catatonic’.



When I entered the near bar last Wednesday, it sounded like I was being serenaded. Not sure who started it, but Alexander the Great was there as was Ernie, High Wire Bill and Broc. They just started singing. It was music to my ears.



Ran into Joe Murphy from Voke Rehab and he was with his buddy Neal. Joe asked my prediction for the Patriots and I said “14-2.” Neal thought that Tom Brady needs to stop hanging around high priced women and it might improve his game. I said it was more like his offensive line protecting him and the defense has to play well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home