Tuesday, April 18, 2006

The Hot Club

Buffalo Steve was talking to a gentleman Sunday night. He introduced himself to me - Kirk Feather. I immediately recognized him as a writer. He has written the jazz column for the Providence Monthly. And I remembered that he got his start with one of the alternative newspapers. It was the Nice Paper.

Kirk told us that Bob Hope was once asked about his golf game. Hope told his inquisitor:"If it were boxing, someone would stop it."

Our new Feathered Friend said his dad was in the British Royal Navy and served aboard a minesweeper in the North Atlantic. The minesweeper was a wooden ship. Buff Steve, who was a Navy Seabee, explained to me that the mines were magnetic. I didn't know.

So I told them that my dad, who was born in Accrington, England, enlisted in the U.S. Army/Aircorps during WW II. My mom showed me a newspaper clipping recently that one week after my dad enlisted he was granted US citizenship. I didn't know.

Sunday night Sue Murphy came in and was waiting for the midnight hour as it was her birthday. No age will be mentioned but Susan is looking good for whatever her age is.

Similarly Saturday (4/15) was Lovely Lisa's birthday and we won't mention age. But Bags did say to LL; "You and Jack Benny have a lot in common."

Someone asked where the Wizard was. A regular answered, " 'Cribbage'. He's at a tournament." Someone chimed in, "That's an old people's game."

Bags watched two women walk by and said of one "She has more miles than Amtrak. Boeing doesn't go that far."

Someone referred to a pessimistic Red Sox fan at the Hot Club as 'Kill Joy'.

Buff Steve and I were talking movies and he mentioned that it's tough to be a hero when you're short. I recalled Shane - Alan Ladd, one of my childhood heroes. Ladd (5'5") had to face off against bad guy Jack Palance (dressed all in black) in a Western showdown.

So I brought up Ladd teaming with Veronica Lake (This Gun For Hire, Blue Dahlia). I said Lake was tall and Ladd had to stand on a box for some scenes. Buff Steve said that they dug a trench and had Lake walk in it for a scene where the two ambled along together. Well it wasn't Lake because a look at Leonard Maltin's Movie Encyclopedia reveals that Lake was actually shorter than Ladd. Ah the memory - first thing to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home