Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The Hot Club

The Cisco Kid flew in from San Francisco and we got together a few people for a Cisco Fest at the HC. Doc Proc was there as was Mr. D., Cisco's brother Jose, and later Cisco's nephew Brian. The brave Ulysses was supposed to be there but was sick (and not of us).

5 Angels dropped by too. Cisco greeted 5 Angels with "You're still a rock star" and indeed 5 Angels was wearing Cowboy boots. Cisco spotted an attractive woman and told him, "I thought it was a mural and then it moved."

Later I pointed out to Cisco a woman in brown form-fitting pants that defined every inch of her derriere. I asked Cisco if she was wearing harem pants. He said, "Those are hard on pants."

Contraire was talking to two women. He called me over and told me to tell Patricia, one of them, the best car to own. This was a set-up since Contraire knows I used to own a '86 Camry and after 214,000 miles bought a new Camry in 2002. So when I said 'Camry', Contraire told me that Patricia worked at a Honda dealership. She didn't know she was dealing with Mr. Contraire.

Not having learned my lesson, I answered Contraire again later when he called me over. Contraire introduced me to a young woman with whom he was conversing. Her name was Sherilee and she is a big Patriots' fan. In fact she is a proud season ticket holder and her seats are in 118 where Driller Killer and I have ours. But hers are much closer to the field (Row 7). She was an astute judge of humanity since she told Contraire, "You're not a sports fan."

Contraire had me give Sherilee a copy of Sportzine. She told Contraire that just from talking to me she could tell that I was 30% smarter than Contraire. When Contraire protested this, Sherilee added, "I might go to the high 30's."

Big Watch told Mr. D. and me: "There's an ass for every toilet seat."

The Herbster visited on Friday and noticing a well-endowed woman remarked, "Best in show so far." Herb also observed a woman wearing a gaudy gold and white outfit. Herb thought she had to be very itchy in the outfit. He said she must have itchy titchy.

A woman with a tangerine top that was cut low spilled her drink. When she walked by us, she said it wasn't her fault, that a woman had hit her arm. When she spilled the drink I saw the Caustic Cutie say something to her. So I asked the Caustic Cutie if she had hit the woman's arm. CC denied it and said the woman was nowhere near her. Bushwhacked?

Mike Solomon made it official - he's running for Providence city council (Ward 5). Best of luck to Mike.

MUSIC REVIEW - ALL THE ROADRUNNING by MARK KNOPFLER and EMMYLOU HARRIS

As a fan of both these artists, this new CD is a welcome addition. Knopfler's and Harris' voices mix and mingle well. Of the 12 songs (50:35 minutes), Knopfler wrote 10 of them. Emmylou penned Track #9 Belle Starr and co-wrote (with Kimmie Rhodes) #6 Love and Happiness.

On first listening a couple songs stand out - Beachcombing, the first song, This Is Us, and Emmylou's Belle Starr. After a few times, I realized how great a song the title track All The Roadrunning is. And repeated listening shows that I Dug A Diamond, Donkey Town and Beyond My Wildest Dreams are also excellent.

That's not to say that the other songs aren't good. In fact, you may have different favorites. This is a strong blending of two different styles and voices. Some songs like Red Staggerwing and Belle Starr are much more country than anything that Knopfler has done. But Knopfler shows he can do different music with his characteristic writing and vocal aplomb.

Buy this CD. It has the Dawson Seal of Approval.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home