Tuesday, October 10, 2006

The Hot Club

Hooks had a date and was upset with her. Why? It took her an hour to eat her grilled chicken salad. He found her on the Internet. Wise asked him if she looked like her picture. Yes. Was her weight OK? Yes. Did she have a big ass? Hooks replied, "You mean like when women dress to hide something? Yes."

Erica told me that Christina is no longer bartending at the HC. Our best wishes to Christina for the future.

One of the Ladies of the Light walked in Wednesday. Bags was just ready to tell her that she was in last week's Sportzine (the 'starter marriage'), when I said, "Don't do that!" In the early days of the Zine, I made the mistake of calling a guy who ran a concrete business "Cementhead". Bags told Cementhead that he was in that week's Sportzine. Fortunately when Cementhead read about himself, he laughed. I've been careful what I call people ever since.

One of the regulars said something and I observed out loud, "I know. Don't print that." The regular responded, "If you print that, we might have to kill you."

Line overheard at the HC: "If his ass was on fire, I wouldn't piss on his stomach."

We were watching 60 Minutes and they were showing a woman with "untreatable" depression having electrodes stuck in her brain. ORic said he used to work backup at Butler Hospital giving anesthesia to people having ECT (electro-convulsive therapy). I told him about Fred Wiseman's long-banned documentary Titicut Follies, which was about poor care given to mental patients at Bridgewater State Hospital. I have a copy.

Just like to wish a Happy 50th to Steve Graham, who reached the milestone last week.
And a Happy 36th (I think) to Adam of the HC Grill. He gets to eat anything he wants.

We were talking about the Three Stooges and I said that I always liked Shemp. Grant said he preferred Curly. Joanne remembered a bit where Curly was scared by a mouse. He called out, "Moe, Larry, Cheese!"

We were talking about Martin Scorsese's new movie The Departed. Paul 'the Lance' said he hopes Scorsese finally wins an Oscar. I told Paul that I used to drive friends to Boston to see '73's Mean Streets (once in a snowstorm). I mentioned to the Lance that not many folks have seen Scorsese's first film - Who's that Knocking At My Door. Yeah, I saw it.

A REVIEW OF LEO KOTTKE AT THE NARROWS

The 'kids' were out in force for Leo Kottke, the great 12-string guitarist from Minnesota, who played at the Narrows, a wonderful venue for music, in Fall River. The Narrows is on the 3rd floor of a converted warehouse near the water. Victoria and I were joined by my brother Brad, Mr.D., Paul 'the Bear' and 'Mrs. Bear', Alona. And we spotted the Hot Club's Mike 'Module' and his wife Judy there too.

This is the 3rd time I've seen Kottke and he was in good voice and his usual virtuoso self, switching from 12-string to 6-string and back. Because the Bear and Alona got there early, we got a front pew on the side and our seats were within 15-20 feet of Kottke.

Over the years, Leo has started to open up more and use his between songs patter to soothe his nerves and uneasiness at playing before crowds. The first time I saw him with the Bear, Kottke said very little. The next time when Brad and I heard him, Kottke spoke a little more. Saturday night Leo was in rare form, using a stream of consciousness 'Well I shouldn't say that but what the heck I already did' chatter to amuse the crowd.

The first thing Kottke commented on was the closeness of the audience. "Too close', he said. I know Kottke hails from Minnesota but he also talked about growing up in Muskogee, Okla. and DC. Later he mentioned his father being from South Dakota.

At one point Kottke introduced a song that he called Ants but then admitted that its real name was Trip to Tolatecatolea or some such Inuit word. He is very funny in a droll way.

Later Kottke played Julie's House which he admitted not having done much of late because he hurt his pinky finger stretching for notes. He said Al Franken requested it at a function and he realized that he could still play it as long as he didn't totally stretch out the pinky finger.

Kottke did a humorous intro to the song Rings, saying that he hates playing at weddings, but then admitting he's committed to doing just that very soon. He then revealed that Rings was written by Eddie Reeves and Alex Harvey for a wedding. It was recorded by Cymarron and reached #17 on Billboard's charts in '71.

Leo The Legend mixed acoustic solos with songs having vocals. His baritone voice is still pleasant, even if he once described it as "the sound of geese farting".

He used his voice to good effect on Paul Siebel's Louise (a Mike Curtis favorite), the aforementioned Julie's House, and Corinna, Corinna, a cover of the song done by Ray Peterson in 12/60 (#9).

Kottke played for about an hour and a half, and did one acoustic encore number. I was the only one bold enough to shout out a request (for Vaseline Machine Gun), but it went unanswered. Oh well, a great night of music with a wonderful coterie of friends.

For more on Leo Kottke, go to: http://www.leokottke.com/cgi-bin/ontour/leotour.cgi

RI HORROR FEST

Thanks to the Hot Club's Grillmeister Tom for giving me the heads up on this year's 7th RI Horror Film Fest. It is the first that I've been able to attend. Thanks also to my companion Victoria for sitting through two full-length features that she might not have otherwise watched. We went opening night, which was at the Columbus Theater.

Victoria liked the 2nd film Die You Zombie Bastards('05) better than I did. Caleb Emerson's 97-minute monster mix had everything but the kitchen sink. It was fun, but a little long and a little overwhelming. Definitely creative though.

The first feature was Seepage(05), which Victoria and I agreed was a great name for a horror flick. Unfortunately, director Richard Griffin just changed it to Creature from the Hillbilly Lagoon which I'm sure he did for marketing reasons.

Griffin's movie is more formulaic (toxic waste creates mutant monsters) than Emerson's, but I found it very funny (intentionally) and entertaining. There are a lot of redneck jokes.

We were told Griffin and Emerson are from Providence and have had their movies picked up for distribution. I was struck by the very good production values (e.g. cinematography, sound, lighting) of both films. Seepage had an added treat - Grillmeister Tom was in it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home