Tuesday, February 03, 2009

The Hot Club

Mike Module grew up in my neighborhood. We reminisced about some of the local landmarks – Monkey Island in Slater Park, 7 Bumps where we use to go sledding. Death Valley, with they rope swing, was our playground. Mary’s Bakery, Bert’s Superette, Helen’s Spa, Hart’s Market and Margaret’s which had great coffee cabinets (that’s a drink). Oh and we used to go see Margie, Hank Soar’s daughter, for MLB game balls.

Chuck D just returned from China. He said that one quarter of the fresh water that is fit for human consumption is not OK for industrial use.

Chuck also said that you get bird flu if you kiss the wrong chick. A woman came up to him at the Hard Rock Café and asked “Where are you from?” Chuck said, “Are you a prostitute?” She said “Yes.”

Drivers in China use their horn as their brake pedal.

Adam asked why he didn’t have a Hot Club nickname. I told him because he hadn’t done anything wrong. Adam said that every day he’s an ornery asshole. So he suggested that name. I said Ornery A would do. Britt offered a different nickname for Adam – Lurch.

I asked Fleet Feet Pete, “What’s the difference between a dead skunk in the road and a dead lawyer? ... There are skid marks in front of the skunk.”

So Chuck asked, “What’s the difference between a porcupine and a law office. The porcupine has the pricks on the outside.”

Charlie Clancy was telling Fleet Feet Pete and me about his ‘signature moments’ in sports. Charlie mentioned Carlton Fisk’s HR against Cincy in the World Series, Doug Flutie’s Hail Mary Answered against Miami (to Gerard Phelan). ‘Havlicek stole the ball’. I always liked ‘Bird stole the ball’ (the inbounds pass by Isiah Thomas). I mentioned the audio at the Hall of Fame with Bernie Carbo homering off Rawly Eastwick to tie Cincy.

Pete asked me for a signature moment and I said, “Vinatieri’s kick in the snow to tie Oakland’. He kicked it right in front of us.” Charlie recalled Ted Williams’ home run in his last at bat. Off of Jack ____. After a while I remembered the pitcher – Jack Fisher.

We talked about starting a B-Ball team. I said I’d take Bill Russell to start my team. 11 championships in 13 NBA seasons. Two NCAA championships at the University of San Francisco and an Olympic Gold Medal too. No one else has ever done that. Fleet Feet Pete said that Russell could have been a decathlon champ.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home