Tuesday, June 08, 2010

The Hot Club

THE HOT CLUB

WHERE HEARTS ARE ON FIRE
BUT IT’S NEVER TOO HOT

FOR THE DEVIL MAY CARE

575 South Water Street

Providence, RI


Tom Bates, co-owner of the Hot Club, was in attendance last week. It’s always good to see Tom out and about. Tom said that his daughter Brittan had a baby boy in April. The boy’s name is Haeden. Our congratulations to Brittan and her husband on their first child.



Congratulations also to Grillmeister Extraordinaire Mary who just graduated from URI. On a recent Sunday, a couple cakes were brought in. Turns out they were for Mary, who majored in Wildlife and Conservation Biology. Guess that’s some different ‘wild life’ than what we find at the Hot Club.



A guy on crutches was standing in the one last available parking lot space at the Hot Club. He was texting. I asked him to move but he said the spot was taken. I told him it wasn’t taken. He said he was saving it for a friend who honked at me as he pulled in behind me. I backed out and let his friend have the space, but I had never seen that done before. Eben and the doormen said that I should have taken the spot because you can’t save them like that. However I had a vision of a newspaper headline – ‘Car runs over

man on crutches for parking spot’.



The Wizard of the Web said, “This is a sad day in the history of man.” I asked him why. The Wiz said: “Willie Nelson cut his hair.” Stephanie then asked the Wiz: “Are you going to follow suit?” Wiz quickly replied “No.”



Charlie Clancy said he didn’t think that Paul Pierce is among the elite players, just a little lower than elite. I told Charlie that I consider Paul Pierce an elite player, and I want the ball in his hands at the end of the game or Ray Allen’s. I don’t think Charlie’s right about this one, but he was correct when he had misgivings about PC’s ‘Greedy’ Peterson way before all the shit went down.



Joe came in and said “Hello Gentlemen, and I use that term broadly.” And I said “Or loosely.” Foot Joy added, “A loose broad.”



Kelley the barkeep gave me some money to play the jukebox. One of the songs I selected was Johnny Cash’s Ring of Fire. At one point there was a seminal moment in Hot Club history as everyone in the first bar was singing Ring of Fire (except Contraire, of course). It was a sight to behold. Sight and sounds: The Wise Man, Jokin’ Joe, Foot Joy, Claudia and me all singing Ring of Fire. Contraire said, “I don’t know anyone in the room.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home