Friday, April 10, 2009

The Hot Club

Channel 10 was doing a news bit about the Providence police and there was a female cop talking about her job. She looked familiar. They flashed her name – Nicole Darling. I remember a woman waiting tables on the Hot Club deck a few summers ago. Her name was Nicole. She had been in the Army military police. Her ambition, she told Mr. D. and me, was to become a cop. So I checked with Beau and he confirmed that it was the very same Nicole. CJ also knows Nicole and has stayed friends with her. So Nicole wanted to be a cop. She succeeded. Bravo, Nicole.

Someone was calling himself a moron or a semi-moron. I assured the person that he was not a moron. It reminded me of my Air Force buddy Mike Curtis who used to say “We’re not your average run-of-the-mill clowns.” To which I would add, “No, we’re your above average run-of-the-mill clowns.”

Wise and I were talking about learning from your mistakes. Then the Wise Man pointed out that it’s also important to learn from other people’s mistakes.

Who gets more impossible day after day – could it be Contraire? He saw me using my digital recorder for a Hot Club item. Seeing me recording, Contraire said “He does that because he can’t remember. He can’t remember his own conversation. And he misquotes everyone.” I interjected, “Not any more.”

Fran told me that there is a new marketing term – breastraunts. They follow the Hooters model. There are two different chains – one is Twin Peaks in Texas. I said that they stole that name from David Lynch’s wild Twin Peaks TV show.

Overheard at the Hot Club:
Male talking to a Female (Fantasized) – “Let’s talk about the first thing that comes up.” And “Sit on my lap and we’ll talk about the first thing that comes up.”

Who is known as Squanto and why? Look that up in your Funk and Wagnall’s. Er, Web.

After Fleet Feet Pete dropped his phone, and it still worked, Stevie Saucepan called him “The Timex Guy”. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking. John Cameron Swayze. Said Fleet Feet Pete, “I love to take those lickings.”

Stevie Saucepan held up a ‘W’ magazine and said “It doesn’t look like Bush.” He saw that it was Madonna on the cover and added, “And then I re-thought it.”
Sportzine is also available at jimdawsonsports.com (Thanks Buffalo Steve).

1 Comments:

Blogger Nicole Darling said...

Hey, Jim. It's Nicole Darling. Its nice to hear you remember me after so long. I love my new occupation everyday. Summer is coming soon so we must all enjoy it. Say hi to all the gals, and gents, for me.

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home