Tuesday, September 20, 2005

The Hot Club

Foot Joy asked me who was the 1st reliever to win the Cy Young. I said Mike Marshall. FJ thought it was Sparky Lyle. He remembered Graig Nettles referring to Sparky as going from "Cy to sayonara". I checked. It was Marshall in 1974. Sparky was in 1977. But the 1st reliever ever to win the MVP (pre-Cy) was Philly Jim Konstanty (1950).

Gave Contraire a 'Zine and told him he was in it but not for something he said. Contraire said: "It's the first time I've been in it for not saying something. Josh added, "Probably the only time you're in for not saying something."

The rain stopped and spirals dotted the water off the HC deck as fish went wild. I said, "The fish are frolicking." Mr. D. offered, "Or the rats took swimming lessons."

We were talking about the two doctors who reportedly wouldn't help a woman deliver her baby on a plane. The flight attendants did it. I wondered about the Hippocratic Oath to do no harm. Mr. D. said, "It's the Hypocritical Oath."

The Consigliere and Wild Bill asked me how retirement was going. I told them I was learning to deal with the stresses of retirement. Bill asked, "Oh, like you set the alarm for 8 and wake up at 7?"

The AM/FM radio on my '02 Camry wasn't working, just the CD/tape player. Mike 'Module' installs and fixes car radios. He checked it after explaining about its matrix and how one thing can jam it. He found my scan button was depressed. Fixed. Thanks Mike.

A confidential source told me he knows of a midget who beat up his girlfriend. The midget had to stand on a chair to do it. And the midget is a short order cook.

We were talking about New Orleans and I said it was a great place to have fun. Dave the Stock Mave said, "I think I spent a summer there." I said, "You think you did?" Dave told me he worked in the French Quarter, was young and didn't know about "Had enough."

We heard that Wise and the Wiz were arguing who has made more money - the Rolling Stones or the Bee Gees. Wise thought the Bee Gees. I agreed with 5 Angels that it wasn't even close - has to be the Stones. What with all the ancillaries. Only if the Stones no longer had the royalty rights to their songs would I even wonder.

The Warden said Mikey K is now Michael 'Armstrong' and he's doing the Tour de Cranston. Our best wishes for a speedy and healthy recovery go out to Mike.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home