Saturday, October 09, 2010

The Hot Club

THE HOT CLUB

WHERE HEARTS ARE ON FIRE
BUT IT’S NEVER TOO HOT

FOR THE DEVIL MAY CARE

575 South Water Street

Providence, RI

























THE HOT CLUB

A regular rocker was with a woman when they started searching beneath the table for something. I asked them what they were looking for and the woman said “My eye.” I said, “Oh you lost your contact?” She said, “No, I lost my eye. I lost my false eye.” I wasn’t sure if she really meant it. Later, The Rocker told me she was only kidding.



There was a show on the HC TV about Chinese food. They were using the very hot red Chinese chili peppers. 80 times hotter than jalapeños. CJ was still willing to try it and wondered just how hot the food could be. Beau told CJ “You’d know if after you took a dump. You’d have to pat it. You wouldn’t even be able to wipe it.”



Buffalo Steve was wearing a T-shirt that said ‘Stay thirsty my friend’. We then discussed the Dos Equis ad with the aging actor and how successful it is. Fleet Feet Pete then filled us in on how effective the Gecko has been for GEICO and the duck for AFLAC.



Alexander the Grate saw my 500th photo of the Hot Club men’s room fixtures and said, “This guy’s a pisser. Urine Al”.



We were wondering what the boat was that was visible through the Hurricane Barrier openings. Dr. John told us it was a ‘liberty ship’ commissioned during World War II. The ‘liberty ships’ were boxy and cheap. Dr. John said that the US built the liberty ships faster than the Germans could sink them.



So as luck would have it, Jimmy Chelo and Mario strolled by and they had just taken a tour of the liberty ship that we were observing, the ‘John Brown’. So I had them talk to Dr. John about the liberty ship. They immediately started talking about the ‘gun tubs’.



At the end of the conversation, I pointed to the white boat and said “So that’s a liberty ship.” They said no, no, not the white one, the grey one behind it.



That led to Mario and I talking about WW II German battleships and the Bismarck and Graf Spee came up. Mario said that the Germans didn’t protect the rudder and propeller area of the ships. They thought that it could only take a lucky hit to disable them, but that’s what happened with the Bismarck. It ended up going around in circles after being hit. I thought of the Johnny Horton song, Sink the Bismarck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home